By Neha Jain on Dec 29, 2016 9:33:04 AM
A “backlink” is one of the most common words in the world of search engine optimization (SEO). Backlinks are the backbone and the main building blocks of every successful SEO campaign.
In this article, we will explain to you what backlinks are and why they are essential to SEO
Are you ready to get started?
What is a Backlink?
A "backlink" is created when an external website links to yours, also known as “Inbound Links”. Backlinks make a huge impact on a website’s visibility and ranking in search engine results.The number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity or importance of your website. Google gives more credit to websites that have a good number of quality backlinks, and consider those websites more relevant than others in their search engine results pages for a search query.
Here are a few common terms related to backlinks:
- Link Juice: When a webpage links to any of your articles or your website’s homepage, it passes “link juice”. This link juice helps with the ranking, and also improves the domain authority.
- No-Follow Link: When a website links to another website, but the link has a no-follow tag, that link does not pass link juice. Example: Links from comments on other blogs.
- Do-Follow Link: By default, all the Blogpost links are do-follow links, and these pass link juice.
- Linking Root Domains: Number of backlinks coming into your website from a unique domain.
- Low-Quality Links: Low-quality links are links that come from harvested sites, automated sites, spam sites, or even porn sites. Such links do far more damage than good.
- Internal Links: Links that are going from one page to another within the same domain are called internal links.
- Anchor Text: Text that is used for hyperlinks is called anchor text. Anchor text backlinks work well when you are trying to rank higher for specific keywords.
Importance of Baclinks in SEO:
Once upon a time, even low-quality links helped in ranking a site.But ever since Google launched its Penguin algorithom on April 24, 2012, the whole backlinking process has changed.
- Backlinks help in achieving better rankings in search engine result pages.
- Backlinks help in the faster discovery and indexing of your site, especially for new websites.
- Backlinks help in getting referral traffic. That means traffic is targeted and low bounce rate.
3 ways for creating 100% quality backlinks:
- Make sure your content is relevant. As Google bases “Relevancy” on 3 things:
2) The content on the linking page.
3) The relevancy of the backlinks hitting the domain.
- Focus on getting baclinks from sites that have higher standards. The stronger the site, the better the results. The best link analysis tools are:
3) Open Site Explorer
- Keep track of your backlinks, to know which sites are linking back to you, and how the anchor text of the backlink incorporates keywords relating to your site.A tool to help you keep track of your backlinks is the Domain Stats Tool.
Ways to get quality backlinks for your blog:
If your articles are based on proper research, people will naturally link them.
Commenting helps you to get one-way backlinks as well as more traffic and better search engine visibility.
Building quality backlinks is extremely important to Search Engine Optimization, so it should be very high on your priority list in your SEO efforts. We hope you have a better understanding of why you need good quality inbound links to your site.